Saturday, November 29, 2008

Back to Hobby Lobby

I made a second run on minis at Hobby Lobby on Thursday. It seemed like no one else had been there since my first visit on Monday. I bought all the little books, with intentions of changing their jackets to become "classics", grabbed some more baseboard and crown mouldings, and the last of the candle sticks.

Today, being Saturday, is the last day of their minis on sale and I'll make one more stop and grab everything left that striles my fancy. I'm hoping that last pack of wood floor planking is still there and some of the wall sconces.

Where are the mini people in my area?? Certainly not at Hobby Lobby. Today, when I make my final sweep through the minis, I will be greedy. I can't pass up such a good deal. Hobby Lobby doesn't offer sales on minis all that often, so, while everyone else is buying Christmas items, I'll be in the mini section cleaning them out. I'm ruthless............

3 comments:

Sumaiya Mehreen said...

Dear Kathy:

If you don't mind me asking, how much have you spent on the trims & moldings for the house? I myself went the cheap route and am using the skinny popsicle sticks from Hobby Lobby: total budget for trims, less than $7 with tax. But I would have loved to use real dollhouse scale moldings...seemed too expensive for me because of the size of the house :(

Kathy Calhoun said...

I can't come up with an exact amount. I have yet to total all the receipts. I never pay the full price. I use the 40% coupons the most and will go every day to get 1 pack of trim. Most packs are about $4.99....for all the rooms in The Garfield, I guess I've bought 16 packs of baseboard,door/window casing, crown moulding, and chair rail...comes to just under $50 and I have a good bit left. I also use straight basswood pieces for some spots at about 50-75 cents each, minus the coupons. I go every coupon day they have...they are only 5 minutes away from me. I think it's worth it, but remember, the house kit has only cost me about $135, buying it from Goodwill, plus getting the sheets that were missing. I think you can get a better deal if you buy in bulk online. If your hobby Lobby is too far away for daily trips, I'd be happy to go for you with coupons and send them to you. It's not a big deal to go and I have enough right now that I doubt I'll need more for quite some time...I may have another line of a new house. We'll see. I agree...the real look is so much nicer, but you could always layer them or add designs and decals to add a bit of fashion to them.I have also used lace for crown and baseboards and decorative upholstry trim is in my dining room. Go back to those photos and see the crown and bay trim

Sumaiya Mehreen said...

So sweet of you to offer to buy trims for me. :D You are such a sweetheart!

Hobby Lobby is 5 minutes from my house too, but I don't think I can handle daily trips ...

I am almost done with the trims for the Garfield. I might redo the wiring after that. Bought a cordless drill-machine yesterday for $20 and loving it! :)